Saturday, January 26, 2008

Glad Tidings Tabernacle Church, 1868-2008

In the short time that I have lived in New York City, a few lesser-known historic buildings have really stood out. I love the historic blocks around Clinton and Washington in Brooklyn. Near my job in Chelsea, there's the art-deco architecture of the Verizon Building and I remain charmed by the fantastic architectural remnants of old Times Square, with layers of history that are an ever-shrinking window to its seedier (yet spunky) past.

I reacted with much dismay today to discover another one of my favorites is about to bite the dust. The Glad Tidings Tabernacle Church hung on for 140 years, and soon it will be replaced by a likely-to-be-graceless hotel. It's one of those buildings that oozes history; I wondered what its past uses were...was it a synagogue? What was the neighborhood like when it was first constructed? Who set foot in the church over the generations?

As recently as 2003, the structure was undergoing its first-ever renovation. The New York Times showcased Pastor Carl Keyes' efforts to craft a home for his family out of the church's attic. When an outside bid came in too high, the entire congregation chipped in to build a suburban-sized home out of the church's attic, with bedrooms in the twin turrets: "With a labor force drawn from Assemblies of God congregationalists from all over the country, as well as much donated work and materials from Mr. Parlionis and Mr. Montroy, the rafter home was built for just under $170,000, in about six months. The family moved in last March."

The Keyes' stay on 33rd Street was to be short lived, and the Glad Tidings community’s efforts to save money seem awfully silly now that the church site has been sold for $31 million a mere four years later. To the Keyes family pastors, I wonder: is it worth sacrificing 140 years of history for millions of dollars? Why must you bend to the will of the developers overtaking the city? Admittedly, I don't know the whole story. Maybe the restoration efforts failed due to insurmountable costs? Even though I am not a religious person, I felt a brief moment of calm in the wildness of Midtown each and every time I walked past this building. It wasn't a religious refuge for me, but it was a refuge just the same.

No comments: