Friday, January 25, 2008

New York is a Gigantic Pyramid Scheme

There has been a lot of talk of recession in recent weeks. Politicians, the press and blogs, my parents--all wonder when the other shoe will drop. I have been viewing this impending recession with much trepidation…not simply because I worry about losing my job, because of course that is plausible in this day and age. Rather, I am scared that this New York house of cards will come a-tumbling down. Rent remains excessively high in my mind, making it next-to-impossible to build up a savings. My college loan interest continues to build because I cannot afford to pay it. Greedy credit card companies continue to mess with my interest rates and the minimum payment due. Every meal seems to subtract ten percent of my savings, although I am not sure why (I don’t eat anything fancy after all). My mother keeps asking why I don’t try out restaurant week, which amuses me to no end; where am I to get the $25 for a “reasonable” meal at a fancy-schmancy Manhattan dining establishment? I feel guilty about spending $23 on half-price jeans at Levi’s.

The bills keep coming, I can’t seem to stop spending, rent falls behind, creditors start calling, and bam! All of a sudden, this house of cards has collapsed. This, my friends, is probably the fear of thousands, if not millions of New Yorkers, because really, this city is way too expensive for nearly everyone that lives here. Whenever I walk down the streets of this metropolis, I wonder if this city isn’t just one gigantic pyramid scheme?

No comments: