Thursday, February 28, 2008

Inflation Watch: 2nd Avenue Deli

I have to admit, I was thrilled to pieces that the 2nd Avenue Deli was reopening. I never had the chance to visit before it was unceremoniously kicked out of its (original?) Second Avenue digs awhile back. I planned to make my way over to Murray Hill and take in the experience that everyone seemed to be raving about. Sure, the place is smaller, but the quality remains high, reads all the positive press.

What I hadn't realized is that the move resulted in 20% higher prices...in my book, a sandwich is still a sandwich, and prices that high serve the tourist, not some local excited to get a bite to eat at a New York landmark. Is the price increase a way to pass down to the customer the higher rent in Murray Hill, plus higher commodity prices? Either way, what may have been a monthly experience will instead happen every once in a great while. I don't have that kind of cash, and I don't like that kind of price increase.

No comments: