Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Inflation Watch: Petland Discounts

I am launching inflation watch today, and hope to post a daily log about the small to large ways that inflation impacts life in the big city. Those of us that aren't millionaires are already squeezed enough by high rent, expensive utilities, and so these price increases might impact the New York City middle-to-lower classes more than elsewhere. Keep an eye on your receipts, because price increases happen all over the place these days.

My first price increase bulletin comes to us from Petland Discounts, your trusted New York pet store. I stopped by the location closest to my work to pick up more of my brand of cat food, and discovered a price hike from $8.49 to $9.49 (and there was an incorrect price tag for $9.99). I asked the assistant manager why the price went up, and he said it was because of increasing oil costs that are being passed down to the customer. There has been much made of increasing commodities (grain) prices, and my guess that this played a part too.

My poor cats are being impacted by inflation too, as I reduce their dinner by one or two kibbles each!

No comments: